Gargeswara Swamy Temple, East Village, Pallassana.
As is the normal practice, when our Tamil Brahmins moved to East Pallassana,
they started looking for a place of worship – temple. Thus the Siva
temple came to existence. The Siva Lingam of the present temple
was originally consecrated and worshipped by a Rishi, known by the
name, Gargamuniswar and hence the name for our Swamy – Gargeswara
Swamy. The original temple was very much below ground level – in a pit.
Later on they raised the level to high and reconstructed the temple
to the current level. The Ambal of the temple is Kalyana Parvathy. The
original stone idol was approximately 5 feet high and with all lakshanams.
Later the idol was changed as the original one developed deformity in
stomach region (challa vizharathu). This was predicted in prasnam and
the present idol was consecrated in the place of old one, some hundred
year ago. The original idol was put in Grama kulam (Sivan Kulam) and
remained there till 1957-58. Before the ashtabandha kalasa
kumbhabhishekam in 1957 – 58 ashtamangalya prasnam was conducted
and they recommended to remove the idol from the village tank as it had
some bad effects. In 1957-58 the entire water was pumped out of the Sivan kulam
and the idol was retrieved from the tank. It was then taken to Gayathri
river and buried there. Till this Kumbhabishekam in 1958 a snake shaped idol as
Subramaniaswamy was also being worshipped. During 1957-58
Kumbhabishekam new Subramaniaswamy idol was consecrated and
old idol became Nagar(snake).
Apart from Gargeswarar and Kalyana Parvathi there are other prathishtas
like Nandikeswarar,Vigeswarar, Subranmania swami, Nagar, Sastha,
Chandikeswarar, navagrahangal (small lingam shaped nine stone pratishtas
in inverted “U” Shape near Chandikeswarar) etc are there in the temple.
The temple is constructed in the typical style (Agama vidhi) found in
any other Tamil Brahmin agraharam temples. In all Tamil Brahmin Siva
temple, if Ambal prathishta is there and when Sivan faces East direction,
then Ambal’s prathishta is done facing South direction. In this temple
Goddessalso is facing South direction.
In East at Kovil vaasal, 5 layer stone Deepasthambham is there. After that
when we climb the steps, Kodimaram (Flag post) and Balikallu are there.
On entering the inner prakaram Nandi mandapam is there. To the left
at the South-West corner Ganapathy pratishta is done.
After worshipping Vigneswarar we have to go back to Gargeswara Swamy
darshan which is in the center. Then we have to go clockwise to the back of Lord Siva.
There in the North-West corner there is prathishta of Subramania
swamy, Nagar and Sastha. After that we have to come upto the outlet for
abhisheka jalam for prokshanam. There we have to see the Chandikeswarar
and Navagrahangal placed in inverted “U” shape (Typical of Kerala
temples). From there without completing the pradhakshinam
we have to go back to worship Kalyana Parvathi at the North-East corner at
Lord Siva’s left side. Here we also worship the Siva-Parvathy uthsava
moorthies. In the inner prakaram we should not complete pradhakshinam
as is the practice in Siva temples. In the outer prakaram we make three
pradhakshinams. In the front side of the Temple we have Arayal thara
and Sivan kulam.
Annabhishekam : On Thulam Masam pornami day Annabhishekam
is celebrated in a grand way. Early morning the day starts with Ganapathi
Homam. In the morning Thirumanjanam ezhunthalathu (jalam is brought)
from Gayathri river with elephant procession and vadhya melangal like chenda,
nadaswaram etc. and the abhishekam is done with Vedaparayanam.
At about 2.30 -3.00 PM Annam (cooked rice) is poured on Gargeswarar.
This is very important and if one views this annam choriyal he is
devoid of all sickness. Steps are made and decorated with flowers,
fruits, cheeru items like Murukku, Neyyappam, athirasam and many
other items. At 4 PM Panchavadhyam and Grama seeveli (elephant
procession ) are there. Lot of devotees pour in to have Annappadi Darshan.
In the evening Thayambaka is attraction. Veda parayanam and Kramarchana
are chanted. Then the annapadi (Sirasu portion) is deposited in Sivan Kulam.
The celebration ends with the night pallacku Kacheri .
Vaikkaththashtami & Thiruvathira: Vaikkaththashtami and Thiruvathira
are celebrated and Samaradhana on both days.
Sivarathri : Every year Mahasivarathri is celebrated in Kumbhamasam.
In the morning rudrabhishekam and Deeparadhana are done.
On this day Poornabhishekam is done to Gargeswara swamy in the night
with chanting of Rudram eleven times with Chamakam. Kramarchana,
Vedaparayanam etc are conducted. Afterwards Pallacku Kacheri and
Grama urvalam are done.
Sasthapreethi: In Kizhakke Gramam Sastha preethi is celebrated on
the Saturday following Sivarathri every year in Kumbha masam.
In Palakkad region the first Sasthapreethi is conducted in Nurani
and the last Sasthapreethi at Pallassana Kizhekke Gramam. On this
day, after special poojas and laksharchana samaradhana and annadhanam
Pradhosham : Pradhosham is celebrated regularly with Rudrabhishekam
Income : The temple had good agricultural income – 15 Vandi (A cart load-1050 paras)
of Paddy was the agricultural income per year. This dried up to nil in 1969
when the Communist ministry headed by Achutha Menon passed the land act.
Now the temple mainly depends on the contribution from devotees.
Timings : Temple is open in the morning and in the evening.
How to reach : Pallassana is 20KMs from Palakkad and buses are available.