Mavelikkara Kandiyur Madeva temple
One of the very famous temples of Lord Shiva is the Kandiyur Mahadeva temple which is near Mavelikkara.It is considered as one of the great 108 temples of Shiva in the world and is called Dakshina kasi (the Benares of the south.) .There are two old stories about the temple.One of them is about Lord Brahma and Lord Vishnu trying to find the head and feet of Lord Shjiva respectively.lOrd Vishnu agreed that he had failed but Lord Brahma told a lie that he had found out the head of Lord Shiva and the Thazham poo(pandanus flower) stood false witness this. The enraged Lord Shiva cut off one of the five heads ofd Lord Brahma .It seems this head struck to his hand.It seems as per the advice of Lord Vishnu, Lord Shiva created a sacred water and take bath in it . It seems the head of Brahma got detached from hands of Lord Shiva. Because of this Lord Shiva got the name Sri Kanta and this temple was named after him. Kandiyur has the pond where Lord Shiva made and got rid of his problem..There is yet another story. It seems that once when sage Mrukandu the father of Markandeya was taking bath oin Ganges, he got an idol of Lord Shiva.It seems he was worshipping it for a long timr and that Idol consecrated in Kandiyur .It is believed that two years before the start of Kollamandu(AD 823) , a new year system called Kandiyur Abdham was started in Kandiyur as it was a capital of a dynasty in Travancore.and later it fell in to disuse because Kollamandu became more popular. It is believed that the temple was built in 823 AD by Cheraman Perumal Nayanar also called as Rajaseskara Varman who was ruling from Tiruvanchikulam as capital. The worship of the temple was being done by Tarananallor Namboodiri at that time.They are still continuing as priests of the temple. It seems that area after a long time was ruled by the Kayamkulam kings .It seems once the Kayamkulamn king was defeated by Venattu kings and at that time the Ruling Kayamkulam king escaped through the western door cloing it after him and till to date that western gate of the temple has never been opened..There are several carvings in Tamil vattezhuthu in the temple..iN that there is a reference that the temple was renovated in 1217-1218 Ad.
The temple is in a six acre compound which is surrounded by a huge compound wall..People believe that the entire compound was built within a night by Bhootha Ganas of Lord Shiva. Apart from the main temple the compound has eleven other sub temples as well as a Naga(serpent) prathishta,.These temples are the temple of Lord Vishnu, Pradosha Shiva, Sastha, Gosala Krishna, Annapurneswari , SAnikaranSubrahmanyan, Brahma Rakshas Vadakum nadha and so on . The following Poojas are daily performed at the temple, Usha pooja 05:45 to 07:00 Am Sree Bali 07:30 Am Panthiradi Pooja 08:30 Am Mrithyunjaya Homam 09:30 Am Navakam Kalasha Pooja 10:00 Am Ucha Pooja 10:30 Am Nada Adakunna Samayam 11:00 Am Vaaikittu Nada Thurakunna Samayam 05:00 Pm Deeparadhana 06:30 to 07:00 Pm Athazha Pooja 07:30 Pm Sree Bali(Nada Adaykkunu) 07:45 Pm. The temple has a ten day festival in the Dhanu month and Aarattu during Thiruvadira.